Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I found some Ramona paper dolls! Plus a bit of vintage Beverly Cleary nostalgia...

Beverly Cleary was my favorite author as a kid, I read and re-read her books, especially the Ramona books, until they were ready to fall apart. Once I outgrew her, I moved onto my next favorite author - Judy Blume. I'll save discussing her for another time - both of them deserve to not have to share the blog post spotlight!

Yesterday I was browsing around in the antique mall that is across the street from the one I have my booth in, and this caught my eye:


Ramona paper dolls! It was only $5.00, so there was no way I could leave it behind. I don't remember ever seeing it before, even though it is from 1983, which was probably around the time I was at the height of my Beverly Cleary addiction. All the dolls and outfits are complete inside too, what a score!


I rarely pick stuff up to keep for myself, but you better believe this is going on my bookshelf. I think my old Beverly Cleary paperbacks are all still at my parent's house, so I am happy to be able to add these paper dolls to my little collection.

If you want some for your own, I did find a few available on eBay right now, most of them for $10 or less, which is awesome!

Of course looking around for the paper dolls led me to looking for the Ramona books I remember from my childhood, and I found quite a few of those are floating around out there too:








Besides Ramona, there were the Henry Huggins books, the Ralph S. Mouse books, Mitch And Amy, and a lot more. Here's a complete list, courtesy of Wikipedia. She also wrote two memoirs, I just discovered as I was searching around - A Girl From Yamhill and My Own Two Feet. How I missed those I have no idea, I'll be reading them in the near future for sure!

1 comment:

Melissa K. in Nebraska said...

I remember ordering the Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume from the Scholastic Book Fair catalogs at school!

And, an antique mall just across the street from another one? Jealous.